Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This was a solid psx! Nice work\
Full Demo No Commentary
Wow! I loved it! For a demo, I can see all the hard work you put into it, I can't wait for the full release!
Loved it!!! You can sense the eerie Lovecraftian atmosphere...
Comments below clip;A desolate environment, where a lonely soul tries to make sense out of senselessness.
Just play it :o]
Well done and kudos to all involved!
This was so beautiful! I love the retro style, and love that we get to use the words to explore different parts! I look forward to more!
great short game, probably one of the weirdest PSX game i've ever played lmao. keep up the good work!
This was fuckin great. I got some Eternal Darkness vibes from the runic casting mechanic. The way the sky/day/night changed quickly was definitely unsettling. I loved it.
I truly enjoy Lovecraft's work. Great short indie game. Keep up the great work.
I can't wait to play the full game!! the voice acting, the visuals, the atmosphere was all AMAZING!!! I had a blast playing! I can't wait for more!! Heres my blind reaction to the game it starts at 10:30!! Thank you!!
Very cool. I loved the whole visual and audio environment. Very creepy. I especially loved the... other visuals. I think it might have giving me some inspiration for something I've been dealing with in a game I've been (very slowly) making.
Thanks for the video! :D I'm glad it inspired you. Give a shout when you have something!
Excellent work, good to experience a horror deeper than jumpscares! Not anything wrong with them, just great to mix it up!
Such a fantastic game with such a wonderful atmosphere. Lovecraft is a favorite, so I needed to play this one.
FOV meter might be something to consider for future updates as it becomes difficult to navigate in certain areas. Overall though, beautifully made game that really kept me wanting more.
Thanks for the video! We increased the FOV a bit on our last update, but we'll try to add a FOV meter on the next update.
You've nailed the atmosphere. The Nameless City was always one of my favorite HPL tales. The extremely low FOV was hurting my eyes though as the demo was ending. Perhaps future updates could address that as I'd love to see this as a fully finished experience.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! We updated the game and increased the FOV a bit. Hopefully, for the next update we'll have an adjustable FOV instead.
Love the fact that is inspired by H.P Lovecrafts works. Keep it up, I want to see a full game out of it!
This was a really interesting horror game. I enjoyed the setting of an unexplored temple in the desert. Great work!
This was a pretty fun little game, I liked the concept and visuals, good work :)
Really great atmosphere going on here, so claustrophobic :)
AMAZING DEMO DEV
The game looks really awesome. Love the visuals, the mystery and the atmosphere.
Here is my opinion about the game so far. I do love the retro style to me cause the less crazy graphics are easier to process and not get overwhelming to look at and it is more of a classic style game feel the images when picking up the artifacts were really creepy and I kind of got some cool creepy haunted vibes of an unknown abounded society.
Some things I think could use some fixing was first I felt like the vision was zoomed in too much and in the tight spaces, it was too hard to see where to go for a bit. I also think the book with the symbols using them to say things were a bit confusing to open those gates and I felt like I just clicked and figured it out in the future try adding more like a feel of that the sounds combine together a lot more. There also were some cracks where I could see out of the boundaries of the game so maybe seal them up with a wall or something else the locations were when getting the second artifact and when you left the temple after getting both of the artifacts.
Other than that I'm trying to not be negative about this project and was giving you ideas for fixing and helping the overall project and I could see some good effort made into this game and felt like a good small title to try out a great job.
Thanks for playing the game and the feedback!
Don't worry about sounding negative, you don't sound like that at all and your feedback is very helpful. We are going to release a revised version of the demo (hopefully this week) that addresses most of your concerns.
Loved the sound design - on my first playthrough I got stuck due to a game breaking bug when opening the first wall (probably I clicked on the wall while reciting the Glyphs - as the wall disappeared I could no longer move, look or interact with anything, no key was working anymore).
It's nicely immersive, the atmosphere really gave me the creeps!
A few things that I believe could use some work. Maybe they're like this by design, but I personally didn't like them:
1) The extremely strict Field of Vision - it gave me a bit of nausea after a while. I understand it may look less cinematographic but it reminded me of when Doom got me sick by sliding along the wall perimeter while trying to find some secrets.
2) The mouse rotation choppiness. Coupled with the point above, made the experience less enjoyable. Why is the mouse look so clamped vertically?
3) V-sync was off - had plenty of screen tearing while turning around. That boosted even further point 1 and 2.
4) Excessively overbright/saturated colours. Playing the game while using the torch on an average HDR display put quite some strain on the eyes.
5) At the beginning of the game the music volume overshadows the narration - maybe tweak the mixing a bit?
6) The game text/script being supervised by a native English speaker. Maybe it was just me but a few sentences didn't sound right.
Looking forward to play the full game - keep up with the great work! :)
By the way - the use of generative AI to create creepy supernatural alien-like images was spot on!
Thank you so much Alessandro for taking the time to play our demo and for your precious feedback!
1) You are definitely right. Some other players made the same observation and we are now testing again the game to find the perfect fov. Will hopefully update soon!
2-3) We'll look into that. I haven't personally experienced V-sync issues but we'll test again for sure. Did you play the Windows or the Mac build?
4) Yes, I noticed something similar too. It has something to do I think with the textures, the PSX shader, and the light when it gets too close to objects. We'll try to improve that.
5) Yes, I guess that was because I wasn't feeling too confident about my voice-over, so I probably subconsciously hid them a bit. Just a little case of impostor syndrome :)
6) We had some friends helping us, but we'll definitely double-check the scripts again. Sometimes we were probably trying to achieve a more poetic and Lovecraftian way of writing, but it's not easy!
No problem, I was genuinely intrigued by it.
About the bug I found while opening the first wall - I probably interacted with the wall, opened the book, clicked on the glyphs and deactivated the wall - all while the initial interaction dialogue was playing. So it probably left me in a non-responsive state. Considered that players are likely to experiment a bit there it may happen again :P
I was a bit puzzled as you could only do much with just 2 glyphs, but then Arx Fatalis came up to my mind ;)
2) Win11, but I'm developing with Unity as well on the same rig, so I'm quite sure I didn't have V-sync forced Off in the nVidia settings
4) You're probably in gamma colour space so it's probably just how the torch lights the book. Maybe you could have 2 different lights on the torch, a dimmed one for the book, and the standard one affecting all other layers? Just a quick and dirty idea :P
5) It's really just at the beginning, when the music is particularly dominant - you can only appreciate one thing at a time :)
6) It's nothing major, I've been picky. The script was almost flawless - a few item descriptions left me wondering. I'm not a native speaker myself so I understand you're up for a challenging task!
Keep up with the great work - I'm looking forward the next update.
PS: I'm not sure if it fits in the game, but if you keep having such large environments you may want to consider a sprint key in open areas - and just walking elsewhere? I understand that running may ruin the immersion, so you maybe a "fast walk" would be more appropriate then a "run" key. I'm not sure myself - you'd definitely not want to add any UI for stamina or run so... Up to you to experiment if you haven't already. I saw a few gameplay video and I believe someone was crawling in open areas, or running wildly down some stairs. I wonder if keeping track of "sanity" would keep the player a bit more on the edge...
7) One last thing: pacing. I'm realising only now that the character is a bit... speedrunning between quite some scary events, especially at the end - I'd be quite shocked if I had those visions. I can't tell how, but maybe we could add a bit more drama to such terrifying events? I'm not a writer so I don't have any suggestion on how to manage that. Bigger environments? reduced walking speed? Passing out? (fade ins/out). I did inspect everything around, but someone could just skip the hints and the mental state of the character entirely? Just my 2 cents.
I really enjoyed the graphics and the presentation of the environment, i'm a fan of using the foreign language to gain access to doors by creating words/commands, would love to see the full game. Thank you for making this! 3rd Game.
Good game, I like it
Short but not bad. Can't wait to see what the full release will have in store. Made a video on it.
Yay, a nameless city inspired game. I'll give it a whirl.
Great so far and nice production value. Voice acting and everything. All the elements were there and I look forward to seeing the rest of the game. Check out the video (game 6).
Thanks for the video! :D
At the end of the video (after the game over), for a minute you didn't move. Did the game freeze or something like that?
i love this game yay :):):)
This was a really nice PSX and low-poly horror game with stunning environments and surroundings, really bringing out the Lovecraft vibes. For some funny reason XD, I forgot what was the button for taking out the torch so there is a small part of the video where I was walking in darkness XDDDD. I really liked the usage of the purple lighting and the strange image after picking up the glyph really made me feel uncomfortable and a little nervous as to what could possibly happen after the image vanishes. It makes me wonder how will the game continue next as the main character learns glyphs and can open barriers. It would be cool if the main character can run though XD.
Thank you for reading my comment and I wish you good luck in your future endeavours.
Thanks for playing, it's very helpful to see other people playing your game!
Hahaha, you played the hard mode. I'm glad that you figured out the key for the torch at the end. On a future update, we can remind people about the controls on different places (not just at the beginning). And also a run button, noted.
Good luck on your future endeavours too!